1. Lafille – Tout attaché(e). No idea who she is, but heard this on FS. Ceci est mon preferé.
2. Poney Express – Palladium. Didn’t care for their first, but this is much more like it, and holds up to repeated listening very well indeed. (Video)
3. Brune – Brune. As good as the first EP promised it would be. Performance of the year on Taratata too. (Video)
4. Babet – Piano monstre. Je Pense À Nous rests my favorite track this year.
5. Sexy Sushi – Cyril. By turns irresistible and annoying, but more irresistible. (Video)
1. Bertrand Belin – Hypernuit. Never heard of him before. Thisis a magnificent album. (Video)
2 Disiz Peter Punk – Dans la ventre du crocodile. Rapper turns electro with astonishing results. (Video)
3. Florent Marchet – Courchevel. Every bit as good as expected. (Video)
4. Ludo Pin – Le temps nous dira. Ok, this is an EP, but more great tracks on it than on the majority of albums. (Video)
5. Suarez – L’indecideur. Not quite as good as their first, but “Qu’est-ce que j’aime ca” makes sure this gets a mention. (Video)
1. Lafille – Tout Attaché(e). Sultry, poppy, punky, sexy. I Wanna be Your Cat? Anytime.
2. Lizzy Ling – No Simili. She’s back – my first discovery via the indispensable FS (I was googling Vanessa Paradis). No Simili is an exotic mix of electro, chanson and the experimental. The beautiful La fille de l’ombre with its sparse electric piano and drumming is revisited in English to close the album. (Video)
3. Emmanuelle Seigner – Dingue. A delightfully pleasant surprise from this actress and model. Great songs including a duet with husband Roman Polanski, Qui Étes-Vous? Pure unashamed pop music.
4. Claire Diterzi – Rosa la Rouge. Another welcome return. Although obviously the music for a play based on the life of Marxist activist Rosa, there are some magical Diterzi moments – the clever percussive montage of Cellule 45, and the sublime J’etais Je Suis Je Seral. Diterzi mixes electro, Arabic, opera and Russian Army chorus with her quirky sound montages. The video for the title track in which she builds an AK47 guitar is awesome – and a reverential nod to protest singer Woody Guthrie’s “This Machine Kills Fascists” guitar. (Video)
5. Lou – Et après, on verra. Dark, minimal, sparse. Intoxicating. (Video)